Wednesday, October 10, 2012

31 Days of Life: Day 10

There are some moments when I am so thankful for Facebook. Last night, I happened to look through a few pics that a friend had posted from their school album. There was the cutest picture of her little one playing with what she called Cuisenaire Rods. I had never heard of them, but I instantly knew we had the same set of colored sticks buried in the abyss of the home-school closet. :-) (These happen to be math tools that I knew nothing about.)

In the description of the picture, she explained what her child was doing with them, and it looked like something that might be helpful to try with my girls. So, like any sleepy mommy would do, I filed these thoughts somewhere in my brain and went to bed. Then, during breakfast the next morning, I remembered about them and went to the closet to fish them out. Even though it was time to have our family devotion, I excitedly brought them to the table and emptied the bag for everyone to see. I may have been a bit too enthusiastic, but the girls took to them right away. Even though our devotion time was delayed for awhile, it was fun to feel excited about math!

Our school day eventually got off to it's normal start after Brandon left for work. We got the C-Rods back out and went to town. We sorted them, counted them, graphed them, and did math equations with them. Then, just as our brains were getting a bit full of math, the girls decided to make castles out of them. What fun! These are the moments that remind me of how much I love getting to learn with them!


No comments:

Post a Comment